Resources for School Librarians - Index
Collection Development Policies and Procedures in School Libraries
"It does not matter how many books you may have, but whether they are good or not."
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca (3 B.C.-65 A.D.), Epistolae Morale
Dealing with Challenges to Library Materials
- Resources for Book Challenges - Extensive list of helpful links from the American Association of School Librarians.
- How to Respond to Challenges and Concerns About Library Materials - From the American Library Association.
- Stand Up to Book Challenges - Prepare yourself for what may be coming. This is from the ALSC, August 25, 2022
- Book Challenges: Coming Soon to a School Near You? - Helpful suggestions in this article by Steve Tetreault in Knowledge Quest, Nov. 3, 2021
- Up to the Challenge - You must be prepared to meet a challenge to library materials before it happens. This is an article by Mona Kirby in American Libraries, Sept. 3, 2019.
- Reporting Challenges: A Quick How To Video - From the ALA Office of Intellectual Freedom.
- Formal Reconsideration - Policies to deal with requests to remove books from the library. From the American Library Association.
- Sample Reconsideration forms for library Materials - For public and school libraries. From the American Library Association.
- School Book Challenge Resource Center - There is an article here which you may wish to share with concerned community members. This is from the National Coalition Against Censorship.
- The State of America's Libraries 2022 - The emphasis of this report from the American Library Association is on book challenges.
- The Top Ten Most Challenged Books Lists - For the years from 2021 to 2001 from the American Library Association.
- Book Bans: What to Know - What is the difference between a book challenge and a book ban. This article from U. S. News, May 7, 2022, includes a list of the most challenged or banned books of 2021.
- Culture Wars - Why book banning is increasing in the United States. This video is from Deutsche Welle, and it is a must watch to understand what is going with book banning. May 29, 2022.
- School Librarians Speak Out Against Book Banning - A video from the PBS News Hour, Dec. 11, 2021.
- With Rising Book Bans, Librarians are under attack - An article from the New York Times, July 6, 2022.
School Library Collection Policies
Collection Development Policies
- ALA Workbook for Selection Policy Writing - 1998
- School Library Selection Policy - St. Bonaventure School Library, Huntington Beach, CA.
- Collection Development Policy - of the Urban School library, San Francisco, CA.
Laboratory High School Collection Development Policy - Urbana, IL.
- Selection Policy Guide - From the New York City School Library System.
- Library Material Selection Policy - For Wellesley, MA School District.
- Selection and Reconsideration Policy Toolkit for Public, School, and Academic Libraries - From the American Library Association, January, 2018.
- A Content Analysis of District School Library Selection Policies in the United States - by April M. Dawkins and Emily C. Eidson. An analysis of school library selection policies which found that school librarians may need to review their policies and keep them current. In School Library Research, November, 2021
As a school librarian, you may have to see what university policies say and adapt to it to your needs.
Up to Top
- Average Book Prices, 2022 - From School Library Journal, March 2, 2022.
- Average Book Prices, 2021 - From School Library Journal, Feb. 20, 2021
- Average Book Prices, 2020 - From School Library Journal. May 12, 2020
- Average Book Prices 2019 - School Library Journal, March, 2019.
- Average Book Prices, 2018 - School Library Journal, March 2018.
- Privacy and Surveillance - Library Privacy Guidelines from the American Library Association.
- Library Privacy Guidelines for Students in K - 12 Schools - From the American Library Association
Up to Top
- A Simple Book Repair Manual - by the Dartmouth Libraries
- Preservation - An online resources for preservation of materials by the Northeast Document Conservation Center.
- Book Repair Manual - by Gary Harrison of Indiana University Libraries. This site has repair instructions, and many definitions and descriptions of book repair terms and materials.
- The Preservation of Pop Up and Moveable Books - By the Baldwin Library. This is a video.
- Book Arts Web - Information on bookbinding, repair, and conservation. This site also has links to related sites.
- Digital Preservation - This is a video from the Library of Congress. You may find it helpful in preserving your personal digital files like e-mail and photos.
- Introduction to Scanning - This is a video from the Library of Congress which gives instructions for making digital images of photographs.
This site is maintained by Linda Bertland, school librarian (retired),
Philadelphia, PA. Please address any comments, additions, or corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org.