Resources for School Librarians - Index
Collection Development Policies and Procedures in School Libraries
"It does not matter how many books you may have, but whether they are good or not."
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca (3 B.C.-65 A.D.), Epistolae Morale
- Average Book Prices, 2020 - From School Library Journal. May 12, 2020
- Average Book Prices 2019 - School Library Journal, March, 2019.
- Average Book Prices, 2018 - School Library Journal, March 2018.
- Average Book Prices, 2017 - School Library Journal, March, 2017.
- Average Book Prices, 2016 - School Library Journal, March, 2016.
- Privacy and Surveillance - Library Privacy Guidelines from the American Library Association.
- Library Privacy Guidelines for Students in K - 12 Schools - From the American Library Association
Collection Development Policies
- Selection and Reconsideration Policy Toolkit for Public, School, and Academic Libraries - From the American Library Association, January, 2018.
- ALA Workbook for Selection Policy Writing - 1998
- School Library Selection Policy - St. Bonaventure School Library, Huntington Beach, CA.
- Collection Development Policy - of the Urban School library, San Francisco, CA.
Laboratory High School Collection Development Policy - Urbana, IL.
- Selection Policy Guide - From the New York City School Library System.
- Library Material Selection Policy - For Wellesley, MA School District.
- Up to the Challenge - You must be prepared to meet a challenge to library materials before it happens. This is an article by Mona Kirby in American Libraries, Sept. 3, 2019.
- Reporting Challenges: A Quick How To Video - From the ALA Office of Intellectual Freedom.
As a school librarian, you may have to see what university policies say and adapt to it to your needs.
Policies for the Use of Social Media in Schools
Up to Top
- Internet Responsible Use Policy - Haverford Middle School. This policy includes student and parent forms which must be signed for student to use computers.
- How to Create Social Media Guidelines for Your School - An article by Steven Anderson at the Edutopia web site.
- Five Ways to Keep Social Media From Being a Legal Headache - an article by Bradley Shear in THE Journal, 3/17/02015.
- Social Media Policies - for staff and students, School District of New York City, 2012.
- Social Media Policy - Sewickley Academy, Sewickley, PA.
- Social Media Policy for Employees and Associated Persons - Los Angeles Unified School District.
- Social Media Policy for Students - Los Angeles Unified School District.
- Social Media Policy for Staff and Students - Jackson Public Schools, July, 2017.
- Social Media Guidance for Staff - Fairfax County Public Schools,
- iPad Policies and Procedures - Keystone School, San Antonio, TX
- e-Readers and e-Books - More information on policies for e-readers.
- Library Privacy Guidelines for Students in K - 12 Schools - This addresses the need to protect student data.
Up to Top
- A Simple Book Repair Manual - by the Dartmouth Libraries
- Preservation - An online resources for preservation of materials by the Northeast Document Conservation Center.
- Book Repair Manual - by Gary Harrison of Indiana University Libraries. This site has repair instructions, and many definitions and descriptions of book repair terms and materials.
- The Preservation of Pop Up and Moveable Books - By the Baldwin Library. This is a video.
- Book Arts Web - Information on bookbinding, repair, and conservation. This site also has links to related sites.
- Digital Preservation - This is a video from the Library of Congress. You may find it helpful in preserving your personal digital files like e-mail and photos.
- Introduction to Scanning - This is a video from the Library of Congress which gives instructions for making digital images of photographs.
This site is maintained by Linda Bertland, school librarian (retired),
Philadelphia, PA. Please address any comments, additions, or corrections to email@example.com.