Resources for School Librarians - Index
Menu for This Page: Library Facilities Design | Coronavirus, Disasters, Damage, Insects, Mold
Building and Redesigning Libraries
- Space and Environment - Ideas to consider when designing a new library or fixing up an old one. From Libraries Tasmania
- School Library Design - Design ideas from Jane Ichord on Pinterest.
- School Library Design - ideas from Sarah Ludwig on Pinterest
- School Library Design - by the Whole Building Design Guide.
- How to Get Library Design Inspiration - Six places to visit. An article from Renovated Learning, April 25, 2016.
- How to Identify and Reframe Design Problems in Your Library Space - an article by Diana Rendina in Knowledge Quest, April 27, 2016.
- Learning Commons: How Technology is Changing 21st Century Library Design - An article from Smith System, a vendor of library furniture.
- How to Evaluate Your Library's Physical Environment - This article is
directed toward public librarians, but school librarians may find some helpful tips for perking up their library. This article is by
Julia Cooper in Information Today, May/June, 2007.
- Teen Spaces Guidelines - This is from YALSA. Though geared to teen spaces in public libraries, school librarians may also find it helpful. Written in 2011 - 2012.
- Library Design Showcase 2012: Super Schools - Really beautiful school libraries. This is an article by Greg Landgraf in American Libraries, Feb. 2012.
- Reimagining The Library - A collection of videos from Edutopia.
- Jingshan School Library Renovation, Beijing, China - What an impressive library!
If you cannot build anew, spruce it up
Up to Top
- Libraries and the Coronavirus - Evolving information and resources. A very extensive list of links from Web Junction.
- Pandemic Preparedness - A list of link to relevant web sites from the American Library Association.
- Pandemic Resources for School Librarians - From the AASL.
- How to Sanitize Collections in a Pandemic - An article by Lara Ewen,in American Libraries, March 27, 2020.
- How long will the coronavirus live on surfaces - From The New York Times, March 17, 2020.
- Libraries Step Up in a Time of Crisis - A facebook group.
- Salvage of Water Damaged Library Materials - From the National Archives.
- Preservation - This site by the National Archives &
Records Administration deals with the preservation and recovery of paper, books, and other materials.
- Preservation Leaflets - By the
Northeast Document Conservation Center. These leaflets cover a wide variety of preservation issues.
- Sleep Tight: A Complete Guide to the Impact, Identification and Treatment of Bed Bugs by Justin Havre, Calgary, CA.
- Bed Bugs - Information provided by Orkin.
- How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs - Article from WikiHow.
- Creating Healthy Indoor Air Quality in Schools - From the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Mold and Indoor Air Quality in Schools - Causes and removal from the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Four Signs That You have Mice
- Bats in Your Home, Here's What You Need to Know - Bats in your library could be a very annoying problem.This is an article by Hermann Semano, May 13, 2021.
- Pests of Libraries, Museums and Historic Buildings - From Terminex
- The Spotted Lanterfly - You may not find this in your library, but if you see it, report it. It is a big pest here in Pennsylvania. This is information from the Penn State Extension.
This site is maintained by Linda Bertland, retired school librarian,
Philadelphia, PA. Please address any comments, additions, or corrections to email@example.com.