Go Back: Virtual Middle School Library Home / Web Sites for Students Menu /Social Studies Menu/ World History
World History Menu: General World History | Ancient History |
Asian History | Africa | The Middle Ages | The
Renaissance and Reformation | 1700 - the Present | Individual Countries: Great Britain
Ancient History in General
- Ancient Scripts - An introduction to writing in the ancient world
and information on the individual languages.
- Mr. Donn's Ancient History Page -
Information and activities for many ancient cultures such as Egypt, Greece, Italy, China and India.
There are things here for both teachers and students.
- Daily Life in Ancient
Civilizations - Find out about everyday life in ancient China, India, Egypt, Greece, and
Ancient Near East
- Mesopotamia - Excellent site from the British Museum. It
has information about the cultures of Assyria, Babylon and Sumer.
- Ancient Mesopotamia - Information and lots of pictures from the University of Chicago.
- The Persians - This is an introduction to the history of the Persians. From Kidipede.
- The Hittes - an ancient people who lived from 1600 to 1200 BCE.
- Canaan and Ancient Israel - Information about the land and the people from the University of Pennsylvania Museum.
- The Megiddo Expedition - Site of epic
battles in ancient times.
- Ancient Greece - A good introduction to ancient Greece.
- Ancient Greece - You will find all kinds of information about
ancient Greece in this site by Mr. Donn.
- Ancient Greece - from BBC Schools.
- Who Were the Ancient Greeks - Lots of information about ancient Greek life.
- Information on the Iliad and Odyssey from About.Com.
- The Iliad - One of the most important stories ever told. Every Greek school child would have know this story.
- The Mysterious Etruscans - These people lived on the
Italian Peninsula before the Romans.
- Classics Unveiled - This site has sections on Roman history
and Roman life. There is also a section on Roman mythology. This site was written by students at the York Mills C. I.
in Ontario, Canada.
- Ancient Rome - Children's Section
- A good introduction to Roman life, and you can click on the Grown Up section to learn more.
- The Romans - Information about ancient Rome. This site also has some videos of ancient Roman sites.
- Pompeii - Pompeii was a busy Roman city until
79 AD when the the volcano Vesuvius erupted and buried the city under lava and ashes.
- Pompeii: Window on Ancient Rome - See Pompeii in this YouTube video.
- Roman Emperors - Biographies of the emperors.
- The Romans in Britain -
Information about Roman life, the Roman army, and a good timeline.
- Africa - Information about its history and culture from Mr. Donn.
- The Story of Africa - From very earliest time until the present.
- The Renaissance - The development of trade, the exploration of the world, and an explosive growth of art.
- The Renaissance - a good introduction from Kids Discover.
- The Galileo Project - Information about the
man and his world.
- Renaissance Art in Italy - This page has lots of links. Look at some of the great works of art by Michelangelo, Raphael, and Titian.
- Leonardo da Vinci - artist, scientist and inventor.
- Michelangelo - A great artist of the Italian Renaissance.
- Martin Luther - The life of the monk who started the protestant reformation.
- Tudor History - England in the period between 1485 and 1603.
There are biographies, and articles about life in Tudor times. There is also a list of movies which take
place during Tudor times.
- Queen Elizabeth I - Biography and history of events
during her reign.
- The Thirty Years War - Major European war between the
years of 1618 and 1648.
This site is maintained by Linda Bertland, retired school librarian. Please address any
comments, additions, or corrections to email@example.com.